Belgrade’s turbulent and war-torn history is what makes it a Phoenix rising from the ashes. It has become one of Europe’s most popular capitals. Belgrade is home to over two million people and lies at the confluence between the Sava and Danube rivers. Before visiting Belgrade’s attractions, you’ll want to stroll along the riverbanks and perhaps stop for a drink at a converted riverboat. Serbia’s capital is quickly becoming a hub for international festivals. It hosts more than 100 festivals every year so you can be sure that there will always be one.
Although Skadarlija Street is only 400m (1,340 feet) long, it is the most well-known street in Belgrade. It is located in the Old Town and connects Despot Stefan Boulevard to Dusanova Street. This street is lined by vintage buildings. Skadarlija Street, Belgrade’s Montmartre in Paris, has a bohemian vibe. It was actually known as the Gypsy quarter during the 19th century. It is a place where poets meet for Skadarlija Evenings at Dura Jaksic’s house, and where the Children’s Street Theatre performs circus acts. You can find celebrities and diners at the outdoor cafes and restaurants.
Knez Mihailova Street
One street is common in every city: it is a street with charm that is lined with historic buildings, and where shoppers can find bargains. This street, Knez Mihailova Street in Belgrade, is named after a Serbian prince. The street is less than one mile long and dates back to Ottoman times.
However, it didn’t really come into its own until the 19th Century when wealthy people started building homes there. It passes by the Srpska Kruna Hotel (built in 1869); private homes at 46, 48, and 50 Knez Mihailova that date back to 1870s; and Greca Kraljica which is a coffee shop located in an 1835 structure.
House of Flowers
Josip Broz Tto was the leader of the Yugoslav Partisans during World War II. He later became president of Yugoslavia. He was a respected leader on the international stage, and he died in 1980. His wife is buried at the House of Flowers, also known Tito’s Mausoleum. His tomb was surrounded by flowers for a time, which gave rise to the House of Flowers.
Now, the white rocks have replaced the flowers. It was constructed in 1975 to serve as a winter garden. Tito chose to be buried there. Today, the mausoleum is part of Museum of Yugoslav History.
Ada Ciganlija, an artificial island cum peninsula in central Belgrade’s Sava River/Lake. The island attracts more than 100,000 people each day in summer because of its beautiful beaches and sports facilities. Ada’s peninsula, also known as “Belgrade’s Sea”, is surrounded by thick forests that resemble a wilderness area. You might even see deer and rabbits. Belgrade residents can find their weekend getaway on the northern end of the peninsula, where they can rent houseboats. Ada Ciganlija is a paradise for athletes, offering dozens of facilities that range from tennis to rowing to rugby and artificial facilities for snowboarding or alpine skiing.
Crkva Svetog Marka
Crkva Svetog Marka (or Cathedral of St. Mark) was built in 1940 on the spot of an 1835 wooden church. It is located in central Belgrade’s Tasmajdan Park neighborhood. The mosaic depicting the Apostle Mark, for whom the church was named, can be found above the church’s outside entrance. The crypt is home to many rulers, including several centuries-old icons.
When compared to medieval or ancient monuments, the Gardos Tower is a youngster. It was built in 1896. It’s still as impressive as any other structure that was built centuries ago. It is also known by the Millennium Tower, or the Tower of Janos Hunyadin. This tower was built on the site of an older fortress.
Today, some ruins of the former fortress are still visible. The landmark, which was originally one of five towers constructed by the Hungarians in celebration of 1,000 years of rule in the area, is located in Zemun 13 miles from Belgrade.
Temple of Saint Sava
The Temple of Saint Sava, a dome measuring 134 meters (440 feet) in height, dominates Belgrade’s skyline. The dome is also topped with a golden cross that measures almost 12 meters (40 feet) in height. It is the largest Orthodox church currently in use and dedicated to Saint Sava. He was an important medieval figure who founded the Serbian Orthodox Church.
It is situated on the Viacar Plateau where Saint Sava is believed to be buried. Construction of the white marble-granite church was begun in 1935. It was stopped during World War II but resumed in 1985. It is still being constructed today, but it is already a popular attraction in Belgrade.
People have lived here since Neolithic time, due to its strategic defense location. Then came the invasion, first the Celts, then the Romans. They built a palisade there, followed by Huns, and Goths. However, it was a Serbian leader in the 15th century who really bolstered the fortifications. It occupies a significant portion of the area and is remarkable for its preservation. The official fortress area also includes a church and a museum, as well as several parks.